Churches are usually among the major attractions of Spanish colonial cities, and that is true in Grenada, Nicaragua. This is the Inglesia de Xaltevea church. Grenada was founded in 1534 and was named after Grenada, Spain, the last Moorish city to fall to the Spanish crown, in 1492.
Typical street scenes in Grenada reveal architectural details.
Fuerte La Polvora is a fort built in 1741. Sadly, it could not prevent American mercenaries under William Walker from capturing the city in the 1850's as part of their efforts to create a central American country for them to rule and perpetuate slavery. They burned the city and left behind a sign "Here was Grenada."
The dome of La Merced church highlights the view across the city from climbing the bell tower.
The balconies, windows and doors of Grenada provide attractive subjects for photography.