The weathered color and patina of the stucco facades of buildings in Colonia del Sacramento, Uruguay, is part of its charm. Colonia was founded by the Portuguese in 1680, but became Spanish in the 1770's.
The preservation of the colonial streets and buildings make Colonia deserving of its status as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. This cobblestone street is an explosion of color.
The colors and textures of Colonia make it a feast for the eyes of photographers and artists.
The twin towers of the old church of Colonia peak above the tree line, without competition from modern buildings to detract from the view. Colonia was at times a Portugese and at times Spanish colonial town at the southern tip of Uruguay.
Modern development bypassed Colonia, so it today has retained the ambiance and charm of its Portugese and Spanish colonial era.
Colonia is located across the Rio de la Plata from Buenos Aires, about 13 miles (20 km) away. It is reached by frequent passenger boat service on the Buquebus (a hydrofoil), which takes about an hour, and is very comfortable with upholstered, but roomy airplane style reclining seats.